Monday, February 18, 2013

Lent

The season of Lent is something that I have observed for the majority of my adult life.  Being a Methodist preacher's kid probably adds to this.

Lent is the 40 days leading up to Easter. People tend to "give up" or "sacrifice" something during these 40 days.  In the past, I have given up caffeine, soda - or should I say Coke, or chocolate.  While it may seem a bit silly to do this - it has reminded me that it is a sacrifice for me. 

This year - I'm going down a little bit different route.  This year, I am trying to only drink water.  The sacrifice is that I don't like just plain water.  I like it combined with tea and sugar.  Or with carbonation and sugar and coca cola flavoring.  This is a big one for me.  I will continue to drink milk however.  Can't eat cereal with water.

In the spirit of all honesty, I have had two cups of coffee.  I'm totally okay with this.  

Also, Annie of Annie Blogs fame, did a wonderful roundup of Lent resources.  She also said this:  "You can take the girl out of the Methodist church, but you can’t take the Lent out of the girl, am I right?"

Completely makes sense to me!  Made me smile as well!

Mark Batterson of National Community Church in Washington, DC has another great article for your information.

Hope you have a great day!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment